Sunday, May 29, 2005

Diet Life.

So a fellow waddles in to my store the other evening--and I mean waddles. He's probably got a circumferance challenging his height. To make the spectacle more appealing, he's wearing hospital scrubs. I'm typically cordial, because, even though I'm a condescending asshole, I am religiously polite to all those who have yet to offend me .

"Good evening, my friend, how is your Friday?"

"I'm tired," he replies, clearly from the natural exhaustion of hauling 300 lbs of behavioral negligence around through a work shift. His tone is gentle, though, so I am compelled to be nice.

Tubby retrieves beer from the right end (where six and twelve packs are procured, rather than the 22's and 40's) and then heads to the 20oz soda cooler. He proceeds to the register with a six of Bud Light and a PVC bottle of Diet Coke in tow.

"I also need a pack of Winston Lights in a box," Tubby proclaims, but again, in a tone so much more civilized than my Philly-blunt demanding regulars that I can't much begrudge his request. But I am distraught, and full of an amalgamation of disdain and pity.

Tubby weighs what he weighs, risking hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, coronary failure, and likely premature death, all because he's incredibly fat. And yet somewhere along the line, he's been, willingly or not, duped into the proposition that drinking light beer and diet soda, and smoking light cigarettes will somehow redeem his sedentary lifestyle and grotesque exhorbitancies in terms of personal habit. He's going to die young in a rich country, and hasn't even the good sense to see it coming. It's a common scenario in which Americans equate behaviors which are not specifically harmful with actual healthy living, as if drinking Diet Coke and Bud Light mystically equates to jogging or avoiding saturated fat.

"Will there be anything else for you, sir?"

"Nah."

"That will be $10.23,'' I convey, as always seperating my work voice from my clandestine inner commentary. Tubby pulls out a ten, and then scrounges about his scrubs for the requisite coinage.

He knows when to just do enough, I think. Perhaps there's still hope for him.

8 Comments:

At Sunday, May 29, 2005 9:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great, Nigela. But that's the problem with Americans. We focus on the short term (drunk driving tonight) vs. long term (too many fat people).

And gas guy, beware. Tubby will likely sue you, the gas station, Bud Light and the cigarette manufacter if he ever falls ill.

You know, gas guy, this stuff would make a great book.

 
At Sunday, May 29, 2005 8:55:00 PM, Blogger JPS said...

Thanks, both of you.

Hamel, that is in fact the plan. I suspect that the daily feedback involved in blogging may give me more incentive to concoct my stirring narrative than sitting in silence staring at MS Word. I'm glad you think my stuff is publication-worthy. I hope an agent agrees.

 
At Tuesday, May 31, 2005 6:30:00 AM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

I have. since I was 5 years old, been working with a weight issue. It’s a battle between being healthy or not and comes down to my choices, it’s no one else fault. Sure when I was a fat 10 year old you could blame my folks but I’m 33 now and haven’t lived at home for quite a while now. Though, at 210 I’d say I’m a world away from you hefty customer.

However that’s not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about plastics.

The Diet Coke bottle is not made of PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride). There are many clear food containers made from PVC but soda bottles are made from PETE / PET, which is Polyethylene Terephthalate. If you look on the bottle you should see either PETE or PET with the #1 inside of the recycle triangle. That number inside the triangle is the Resin Code. PETE/PET is #1 while PVC is #6.

PETE has the advantage over PVC of being able to be recycled back into another clear soda bottle while PVC can’t be reused as clear food containers and instead gets turned into things like Pipes and hoses.

 
At Tuesday, May 31, 2005 8:33:00 AM, Blogger JPS said...

I stand corrected on the soda bottle; clearly this man knows his plastics. I'd change it in the original post, but then this rousing lecture would make no sense, so I'm going to leave it how it is. In the future I will, should reference be requires, describe PET bottles in correct material terms.

 
At Tuesday, May 31, 2005 1:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, even the comments on this site are good.

 
At Friday, June 10, 2005 11:23:00 AM, Blogger Elizabeth Taylor said...

"I have one word for you, Ben. One word."

"Mr. McGuire?"

"Plastics."

"Plastics?"

"Think about it."

 
At Monday, June 13, 2005 2:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool! ;)

 
At Monday, June 20, 2005 12:20:00 AM, Blogger escalade328s said...

i am more stunned at the total of the large individuals's bill - here [in canada] that would be about a 20-25$ purchase.

btw, great blog, i recently started working at a gas station but im out in the full serve booth, this reminds me of my job...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home