Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Somebody Else's Problem.

Yes, before anyone self-appoints themselves Monumentally Clever Person, that's a HHGTTG reference.

It's five minutes past closing on a Wednesday night. I see three collegians pushing a dark green Ford Explorer toward the pumps, trudging slowly, step-by-step forward, like Arab traders leading a camel into a desert wind. The pumps are off, of course; their arrival hither is bound to be disappointing. I am typically prescient about where that disappointment is going to be vented. I am the Gas Guy, after all.

I watch them stare disbelievingly at blank gauges on the pumps as they jab and prod the fuel grade buttons and fumble with the nozzle beneath our unlit pavillion. I listen to my register buzzing happily as it spits out the end of the night reports. I am counting my drawer and waiting for their card-house of denial to topple, its remnants blown by the wind toward my locked and bolted door. I stand in my citadel, the Tai Chi Ch'uan master surrounded by enemies, awaiting the first strike that I may begin the lesson. They're not only going to learn why they're wrong, they're going to learn it on my schedule.

It comes. One of the collegians, a well-kempt frat-looking fellow (as are they all) approaches and tugs desperately at the pull handles, feigning (or perhaps worse, actually feeling) surprise when the do not yield. He gives me a look of thwarted ambition, impotence--futility. It's the kind of look that inspires pity and amusement toward children and pets when you've given them a challenge beyond their abilities. It elicits derision and disgust toward adults.

"Hey" frat unit A implores, knocking on the plexiglass window that seperates us, "our friend ran out of gas, and the pump won't take his credit card."

"That's because we're closed, and the pumps are shut off until tomorrow," I shout, because plexiglass absorbs a lot of noise. "There's nothing I can do for you." I am wondering which of the usual semaphore-flag indicators of closed-business status they overlooked most effectively. Was it the absence of any other vehicles? Maybe the pavillion lights being off? The darkened interior of the store, perhaps? That it took the above plus pumps lacking electricity, a locked door, and me telling them to send the point home makes me pray silently that these are not criminology majors. Yep, guy standing and counting money equals establishment open for commerce: there's the logic of desperation, in all of its finery.

"Thanks," he snorts sarcastically, as he storms back to the truck like the proverbial scorned woman. Sure enough, this is my fault. Score another one for the Gas Guy's Crystal Ball™. By the look of A's slightly puffy eyes, by the way, these guys have been drinking, which makes me decidedly unsympathetic. Hate away, my frat boys.

If my collegiate friends here were in any danger, I might be a little more inclined to help. I go through, like most people, a partially conscious checklist when evaluating candidates for aid: Are these guys safely off the road and out of the way of traffic? Check. Do they have recourse to assistance? Judging by the fact that all three are now yammering on cell phones, check. Is it hazardous for them to be outside? No, it's a pleasant evening and I walk home through this neigborhood alone nightly. Is there a well-known organization called triple-A, which specifically addresses and rectifies situations of driver negligence and idiocy? Check. Finally was this actual bad luck, or just somebody not paying attention? Extra-bold check on the latter. There are probably at least 30 gas stations within a five mile radius, and I would bet their souls that they passed five of them with the needle of a freakin'Ford Explorer on "E." It's not quite as thirsty as, say, an H2 in terms of fuel economy, but it's hardly a Geo Metro either. I conclude that my heart is not, in fact, breaking.

I was in a very similar situation once, as my empty-tanked Toyota Corona bucked and wheezed into a BP station that closed two hours earlier than the one I work in now--ten minutes before I got there. The clerk wouldn't turn the pumps back on, rerun his reports, and recount all of his money just to accomodate my faux pas. Having no coins for the pay phone, no cell phone, and no collect call access to my land-lineless erstwhile roommate, I walked three miles across gangsta-infested urbania in the dark to get home. Although it never hurts to ask, I held no grudge against the station attendant for not reordering his evening around my poor choice. As I trugded home, I envisioned a yellow flag attached to a steel bit flying through the air, followed by a referee's miked voice: We have a foul on the play: stupidity--offense. That's a three-mile walk home through the ghetto penalty and repeat second down.

But the guys aren't done appealing my decision. "C'mon can't you turn the pumps back on for a minute?" vociferates frat unit B, ostensibly believing that with an identical tone and request, he's going to get farther along than A did.

"They shut off automatically at close and restart in the morning," I yell back. Instead of a prevarication, I like to think of this statement as a personal redefinition of the word "automatic." Today it means "operated by breaker switches flipped by human fingers." I repeat that "there's nothing I can do. Sorry." B slinks away, vanquished by the iron-clad consistency of my argument.

I can turn the pumps back on, of course, but doing so involves re-booting the POS system, starting another business day, and retotalling everything. I'm not sure how to go about it, it would take forever, and would probably get me fired. While that may happen one day anyway, it will be a down-in-a-blaze-of-glory, my-terms kind of getting fired, and not falling on a grenade for some snotty kids who probably couldn't be bothered to say "thanks."

But the hitherto-silent unit C, the actual owner of the vehicle, approaches. I can't wait for his boldly divergent tack. His query arrives: "Why don't you guys leave the pumps on at night, so people can use their credit cards?" It's a good question, as I've seen stations that do just that, but strangely theoretical and not terribly germane to his current dilemma. I wonder why on earth he wants to debate something with me that can't help him at present. It's not like I can make a phone call and spontaneously change company policy.

"Because if something goes wrong with the machines, there'd be no one here to assist the customers," I reply, pleased with the reasonable-sounding improv. C, apparently at last realizing that having different lawyers come before the same appellate judge is getting the same answer, retreats to the Explorer.

I formulate a better answer, as often happens, after he leaves: because that would be underestimating human stupidity. "Never underestimate human stupidity" is beyond an aphorism, it is an axiom, containing the better part of all self-evident truth necessary for operating commercial industry. The irony of letting the same people who can't keep their cars, which have well-lit, prominent fuel gauges, from running out of gas operate pumps unattended is clearly lost on C. I can just imagine the chaos of leaving machines unsupervised which accept money and dispense flammable liquids--in the wee hours of the morning, when most users would be intoxicated. I would come to work one day, to find the area that had once been the fuel pavillion a scorched crater, while the rabble from the Glen picked through the smoldering wreckage of my little shop searching for intact menthol cigarettes and unpunctured cans of Steele Reserve, with the ardor of rescue workers at NYC ground zero. And I don't want to see that.

I go to the back to put the money away and restock the beer. When I return, the frat guys and the Explorer are gone. I conclude that the situation was not so dire as they protested, and that I was correct to assume that they could navigate it with no extraordinary assistance from me.

A little tough love goes a long way.

15 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 08, 2005 10:47:00 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I suppose it all turns on the meaning of "sympathy," as opposed to recognizing that someone's situation, well, "sucks." Does it suck to be pushing a car for several blocks, then finding a gas station only to discover it's closed? Yes, it sucks. But there is a step between recognizing that a situation sucks, and actually feeling sympathy for the person in peril: was this personal reasonably responsible for the jam that he's in? To merely feel sympathy because someone's in a tight spot, you're missing that vital step, and that makes you a sucker.

But for the record, even if they were sympathetic, I wouldn't judge you for leaving the pumps off. But then again, frat boys annoy me, and I'm sort of a jerk.

 
At Wednesday, June 08, 2005 2:14:00 PM, Blogger Giant Bladder said...

Actually, Jason, you're the biggest jerk I know and I hate children and retards.

Gas Guy, your chiselling away at the sense of entitlement and ignorance of consequence that dumb rich people have is the most noble of crusades. It puts you on par with the Buddha or Jesus only without those irritating followers.

 
At Wednesday, June 08, 2005 3:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What that guy said.

This is easily 1,000 times better than anything I've ever written. Seriously.

You better be writing a book or something.

 
At Wednesday, June 08, 2005 5:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

High praise, and well-deserved.

"Those who make stupid decisions should suffer the consequences of those decisions." While not a decision to run out of gas, it sure isn't that hard to not run out of gas. Time to take off the sweaters, tie 'em by the arms around your neck, get the penny loafers and khakis dirty, and start pushin', boys. Or have mommy show up.

Gas guy, you're more patient than I am. I wouldn't have been as kind. I likely would have asked him why he didn't pay extra for the gas gauge. Then I'd explain to him exactly how it works, the meaning of the E and F on my car, the increments inbetween, the red needle, and I have no idea why but my car came with one, but you know these new fangled cars. Everything costs extra.

 
At Wednesday, June 08, 2005 8:20:00 PM, Blogger Anandi said...

Just dropped by. Your writing is excellent and also hilarious. Yay to you.

 
At Wednesday, June 08, 2005 11:45:00 PM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

Let me first say that your blog has the BEST content of any blog that I have read, including my own. Your vocabulary is terrific, but you don't abuse it. You are a natural story teller, a talent that is enhanced by your intellect and the blessing of a wealth of quality material. You just can't make this stuff up. Kudos!

A question... Frat guy with a Ford Explorer, a bunch of friends, and a credit card. Why is he allowing his fuel guage to dip below a quarter of a tank? Even if he'd arrived just as you were preparing to shut them off, I'd have advised you to flip the switch. Morons.

Great post!

 
At Thursday, June 09, 2005 12:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this.

 
At Thursday, June 09, 2005 6:31:00 PM, Blogger JPS said...

Thanks all.

Jason, good point about picking your sypathies based on cause-of-predicament. Guys doing 25-life for aggravated murder are in a bitch of a spot as well, but we know what got them there and hence don't shed too many tears over it.

Giant Bladder, the followers of Buddha can stir fry a mean General Tso's and gave us Bruce Lee; cut them some slack.

Scott, thanks.

Brittney, I've read some of your stuff, and can't agree less with your comparison. You're quite talented.

And you're reading the book I'm writing, more or less. I hope to collect enough of these gripping tales to sort through and pick the better ones and edit them for publication as a collection/memoir, assuming I can find an agent that has any interest in shopping it around for me. I'm not sure what the market for this type of work would be, as I know very little about the publishing industry, but I can't imagine that a few dozen people reading it online for free would hurt it's saleability.

Oh, and I'm madly smitten with you; leave your fool of a man and run away with me.

Hamel, thank you as always.

Lady Godiva, thank you for dropping in. I've bookmarked your blog and will stop by again. I vehemently defend my "verbose simpleton" status, though.

Anandi, ditto the above.

Nightcrawler, flattery will get you everywhere, my boy, but..."best content ever?" Come now.

Thanks though, and I'll try to comment on your posts more often, although I'm not a hugely political kind of guy.

Molly, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Thank you.

This is officially the last time ever commenters are going to be thanked individually. I hope you all enjoyed it. I'm off to drink lots now (but not to drive home and run out of gas then blame some hapless gas station dude). Good night to all.

 
At Thursday, June 09, 2005 7:44:00 PM, Blogger Evil Bunneh said...

You sir, are my new hero. Being stuck in *blank*, australia, with pretty much the exact same job, except we are 24hrs....with a kitchen.

I thankyou from the bottom of my dead heart for sharing the humour.

 
At Friday, June 10, 2005 5:48:00 AM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

I would agree with everything on your check list save one, and that would be the assumption that the gas gauge was in proper working order. Back in my High School days I had a friend whose goofy old Peugeot 405 suddenly stopped working. He had a “Peugeot guy” look at it, trying to trouble shoot what was wrong in the fuel system since the car was still getting spark before restoring to paying about 3 trillion for a French fuel pump. My friend ends up purchasing a second car while still trying to figure what ails the 405. Then one day he and his pal drop the tank and discover it’s empty. They put it back on and put a little gas in and “Vroom” the car is alive.

It turns out that the gas gauge, that hitherto and never exhibited any signs of wonkiness, had abruptly stopped working and become stuck at 1/8th of a tank. I know fill up and know that in 300 miles I’ll need to get gas, no matter what the gauge says.

So, in light of this, I’d say unless you climbed into the cab of that Explorer and verified that correct operation of the fuel gauge I don’t think you can justify checking that box… regardless of the likelihood that it was working fine.

 
At Friday, June 10, 2005 1:18:00 PM, Blogger Just Jan said...

nice blog....haven't read it all yet but I saved it in my favorites. I found it by reading waiter rant. Keep up the good work and don't let negative comments get you down. I will look forward to more enjoyable reading.

 
At Monday, June 13, 2005 2:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so Goddamn lazy. No wonder you work at a gas station.

 
At Sunday, June 19, 2005 1:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post brought back a memory. I worked at a service station back in the early eighties. The Bossman had instructed me to NEVER turn the pumps back on after the close of business.

Well, sure enough one night about 5 minutes after turning the pumps off a guy came in and said that I'm the only gas station he can get to before he runs out. I told him the bad news, and he motored away screaming "Asshole!" as he left.

Some things never change.

 
At Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

`` undrestimating human stupidity. ''

*chuckle*

 
At Saturday, July 02, 2005 3:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. - Robert A. Heinlein's character Lazarus Long coined that expression in Time Enough For Love, and they are words to live by. There is also Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. Frank Zappa once said: "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Respect stupidity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home