Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Elected Navigators.

"Can you tell me how to get to (insert desired location)?" is something I hear with inordinate frequency, at least several times weekly. This puzzles me to some great end, as, although my station is near I-40, it isn't on it, and hence I wonder how people get so terribly lost. Let me correct: I used to wonder, before I became wiser in the ways of the world. I have subsequently formulated a theory that neatly explains the whole badly-lost-traveller phenomenon, and it goes something like this: if you work in a gas station, your place of employ exudes a unique polarity that impels hapless pilgrims in your direction; someone will always be lost and wash ashore at your counter, no matter where such may be situated. I am, by this epiphany, now convinced that if I worked in a gas station in Vladivostok, I would have a minivan full of Canadian tourists disembark asking me the way to Juno, Alaska, and I would have to explain they took a wrong turn at the sea bridge across the Bering Strait, back when it was still frozen. Oh, and the lost folk invariably want to use my nonexistant public restroom while asking me for directions which I am wholly unqualified to give them. Sucks to be them.

The oddness of this incessant circumstance has led me to seek the opinion of those better versed in history or law than I, with a specific question: where and when was, pray tell, the national plebescite that ensconced gas station attendents as the preferred navigators for tourists who have wandered afield?

Any traveller, in this bold modern world, has a plethora of options at his or her disposal, the like over which their parents and grandparents could only salivate ravenously. They may: consult this newfangled organization, usually pronounced "triple A," which will happily mail any member detailed print directions based upon the individual itinerary, given sufficient notice; barring the available time, they may go to a website called "Mapquest," which, having taken satellite photos of the entire freakin' United States, will, for free, offer them a detailed and printable guide which gives instructions so minute that a chimpanzee could drive by them; they may purchase a paper map and abide by its dictums, in an old-scool manner that sufficed for 10,000 years or so; or they may, less sagely, jot down the instructions given them by Uncle Bill over the phone, dictated from his hazy memory of the last time he orated directions to Albuquerque, and then stop at my gas station, seeking my flatly inexpert guidance, when they inevitably get lost. (That one I can answer, by the way: get back on 40W; drive another 1,200 or so miles; don't get off the interstate.) That this latter option is chosen so frequently makes me grateful that breathing is still an involuntary exercise of the human body. Clearly, were it not, a whole slew of the public would forget to do it and die.

And yet I wonder why people place such faith in strangers so unqualified to alleviate their quandaries. Do they not know that gas stations are typically staffed by stoned teenagers and convicts, because most don't check backgrounds or references, and are surpisingly liberal and tolerant in their hiring choices if they do? I am reminded of a wonderfully entertaining Jacky Chan-Owen Wilson film called Shanghai Noon, in which Chan's character confronts Wilson's, screaming, "You gave me bad directions!" Wilson's character replies laconically, "No, John, I gave you wrong directions." Who's to say that even if the $7.25 an hour guy that you're placing your vacation-wellfare in the hands of was intricately knowledgeable about local cartography, which he almost certainly is not, that he wouldn't send you along the wrong arrow for his own amusement? Sure, that's a mean thing to do, and I've (to date) never done it, but why assume it won't happen? Success is a narrow tightrope over the seas of misfortune and treachery, and yet one that millions elect to walk daily--especially when directions are involved.

A curious externality of this situation is that, after so many desperate requests, I have begun to actually feel guilty for not having the right answer to navigational questions that I should never have been expected to answer in the first place. I begin to feel like there is a school for gas station cashiers that imparts "the knowledge," as certified London cabbies are required to have, and that, having avoided, I snuck into the job without this essential qualification. Because so many people get lost and demand my assistance, I start to feel like I aught to have some assistance to offer. I've caught myself apologizing for a lack of information that I have absolutely no commercial, moral, ideological, or practical imperitive to possess--my logic is overthrown by remorse, as if I were a Roman Catholic, or something.

But then, the cars disappear into the distance, and I'm left with the understanding that I did the best I could, while shamefully inept to do better. Would they have asked a sommelier to fix the blown fuel pump on their car? Would they have conscripted a cop to perform lasix surgery on their eyes? They asked a convenient store clerk to point them in the right direction, weirdly assuming that he were properly enabled to do so. And I do the utmost that my limited proficiency allows me to offer. If they get lost again, and want to sue for malpractice, they need look no farther than the rear view mirror for the object litigant.

16 Comments:

At Sunday, June 19, 2005 7:26:00 AM, Blogger Just Jan said...

this is so true. My son used to work at a gas station...people would stop in ask him for directions...not knowing he was totally clueless...he'd call me and say.."Mom, how do you get to (where ever)?" I'd laugh and help him the best I could. People are amazing we like you said there are so many "tools" out there for travelers that they "rely" on someone at the gas station for directions.

I love your blog and added it to mine for others to visit.

 
At Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:13:00 PM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

One of the great things about gas stations is that many of them sell maps. Have you ever tried pointing them in that direction?

In my career, I'm not often asked to give directions, but on occasion, one of my customers would ask me how to get to our Columbus office from where they are. I've only passed through Columbus a handful of times, never straying off of I-70 in the process. Like you, I have caught myself apologizing to them for my lack of knowledge.

Great post!

 
At Sunday, June 19, 2005 4:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember being attempting to take a date to a Red Lobster when I was in college. It was her favorite restaurant, and the closest one I could find was an hour or so away. So I figured I'd get to the town and ask directions.

I pull into the first gas station in the town, and ask the attendant if he knew how to get to the Red Lobster. I swear this is true.

"Head down street x, at your third set of lights, take a right. Go two blocks, take a left. At that point, you'll really be lost, so ask for directions again."

I gotta give it to the guy, I burst out laughing, as did my date when I told her the story. I've remembered it ever since.

 
At Monday, June 20, 2005 2:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a clueless clerk, my best story was a guy who stopped at 3 am and said "I AM in ATLANTA right??? I didnt have the heart to tell him he was three hours into alabama on the other side. But at least I knew the answer to THAT question. Yup, that'll teach him to smoke a fattie while driving.

 
At Monday, June 20, 2005 7:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work at a station in St. Louis off of I-270. The interstate makes a horseshoe around the city this station was on the the only 2 miles that ran north-south either way you went the interstate eventually veered around east but it near impossible to figure out WHICH east the lost people needed. After one too many frustrated customers took out thier anger on me because they could tell me where they need to go, I finallly settled on this exchange.

"Could you tell me how to get on 270 east?"

"East? Are you sure? 270 runs north-south."

"I'm sure. My directions say to take 270 east."

"Well I don't know what to tell you, but you turn right to get on 270 North and left for South. Sorry."

 
At Monday, June 20, 2005 6:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's another story from today. Went with the family to visit friends at Old Orchard Beach in Maine. Spent the morning with everyone, then after lunch I took off for a spin on my bike (that's bicycle, not motorcycle. I'm a geek in spandex). Anywa, according to my map. Route 9 runs right through Old Orchard and up and down the coast. Figured I'd head south to the Bush compound. I pull out of thehotel and ask several locals where Rte 9 is. No one knows. I end up taking a different route. When I get home, it seems the street I was on asking directions *was* 9, but is known as its street name instead in Old Orchard. Grrrr. . .

 
At Monday, June 20, 2005 10:19:00 PM, Blogger JPS said...

To anon in St Louis: 270 in Columbus, Oh., runs a complete, almost perfect circle around the city, so the direction that the signs indicate you are pointing is only accurate for about five miles. I suck at giving (and following) directions anyway, so I ticked off a lot of people who asked directions to the store that I worked in, right off 270.

 
At Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:14:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gotten off the road of life eh? AT LEAST I KNEW I WASNT IN ATLANTA...

 
At Tuesday, June 21, 2005 12:56:00 AM, Blogger JPS said...

Uncle Shoe,

No offense taken. Your observation actually adds to my point: while I may or may not be atypical of what you expect from one excercising my profession, I'm a directional idiot--yet probably among the less cluless of those that have worked at my store. You're dead right: most stations are staffed by walking/biking distance locals (who would drive for one of these jobs?) who frequently are transients or people without cars. Us? You ask us how to get somewhere? You may as well have spun a Twister dial.

By the way, thanks for the praise and all, but this was kind of a sucky post. It could really have used a rewrite, some better examples, and some more dialogue. I felt bad, though, being "off" for so long that I hurried and allowed it to come out a bit undercooked. I'm not compliment fishing, but just don't think it met the standards of some of the earlier ones. Y'all deserve better.

 
At Tuesday, June 21, 2005 2:12:00 AM, Blogger JPS said...

The second paragraph was directed to all commenters, to clarify. Uncle Shoe, while his comments were appreciated, offered no specific praise. I should really proofread for ideological coherence before posting.

 
At Tuesday, June 28, 2005 3:20:00 AM, Blogger Shirley said...

I have to give directions to the repo yard about 50 times a day. If they're real assholes on the phone, I tell them to go east when they get off the highway. 9 out of 10 don't know which way east is.

 
At Sunday, July 03, 2005 3:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget GPS...

 
At Sunday, July 24, 2005 2:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of my friends are astounded -- astounded, I tell you -- to learn that I can drive a route, say, from Richmond, Virginia to Halifax, Nova Scotia, without once consulting a map or asking directions.

I do carry maps when I travel, very good maps -- costly map books in fact, which I update regularly -- and I do also consult them periodically on my travels. But the point is that I do that for my own sake, not out of genuine necessity. Because most of the time, even over very large distances, I really can get there without a map, and without asking directions.

Because I plan ahead, and I'm very thorough about it. I leave nothing to doubt, and as little as possible to chance. By the time I leave, I have the entire route in my head, including alternates, should the need arise. And more than once, I've silently, smugly enjoyed the slowly growing amazement of someone riding with me as the hours and miles slip by, during which I have obviously not sought any direction, and yet I do not get lost along the way. I know where I'm going, and I know how to get there.

So it continually amazes me to encounter people who aren't just a little off from the directions they're given, but actually have no clue at all where they're going, or how to get there, and somehow think that they've got a pretty good chance of making it there anyway. No one example is a capper, but this one incident sticks in my mind, if only for the cascade of idiocy it revealed:

I was in line at Dunkin Donuts, and had just ordered a huge iced coffee. Right then, an over-tanned, skimpily-dressed Gap mannequin trundled in. She was lost. She needed guidance. In so many ways.

She first sought guidance from the counter people, on the bet that they lived nearby, and might know the area. They might or might not have, but the yawning language chasm between their just-got-off-the-boat Spanglish and her graduated-from-Cranston-West, fruity-drink-scorched-throat, scary as shit Rhode Island accent exceeded the tolerances of mutual comprehension already strained by her obvious lack of mental weight. And so it was that the question fell to those of us standing on line.

I didn't want any part of it. The testosterone junkie in line behind me volunteered with a grunt, but in a surreal moment of genuine masculine stupidity, failed to follow the grunt with any language. After a few seconds, I realised that he didn't know the answer to her question. And by that point, I'd also ascertained that the reason he didn't know was that she hadn't asked any questions that anyone could answer, good English or not.

I used to deliver in this town. I know the streets here like I know the grain of my kitchen table. If she could formulate the right kind of question, it was more than likely that I could answer it for her. And so, perhaps feeling a little bad both for Testy's embarrassment behind me, and for this woman's tragic determination to go through life like a bumblebee stuck in a window frame -- but more likely because I wanted her out of my life altogether -- I volunteered.

I gently asked her a few leading questions, to determine how much she knew about her destination, and whatever other clues she could offer. It quickly became clear that she had no idea at all. She was going to a wedding or something like that, some kind of family or small social event at a rented facility, or a church hall, something like that. And to date, that's all I know about it, and perhaps all she knew, also. She did not know the names of any of the streets involved in her journey. She did not know the address. She did not know the name of the place she was supposed to be going.

I was strongly inclined by this point to wonder if she in fact knew anything useful at all, such as the name of the city we were all standing in, or what month it was. Instead, in a burst of exasperation, I waved my hand dismissively and turned back to the counter, saying to her, "You don't know anything. No one here can help you."

There was a somber quiet as I paid for my coffee. The counter people didn't give a rat's ass, and were glad to be out of the loop. Totally Lost Girl was struck dumb (and not merely stupid), and Testy was stone silent, which I should have realised was a bad sign. I thought he might be on my side, offended by this B-grade Barbie, but I should have remembered that jocks love hot chicks, no matter how stupid, and have little tolerance of smart-ass dykes who sass their hot little Coppertone asses. But he wasn't going to create a scene in the middle of a transaction, for risk of involving the counter staff, who by longstanding cultural tradition must never, absolutely never, get dragged into any pettiness between patrons.

His timing was right on. Just as I grabbed my coffee and turned to leave, he huffed in my ear, "That was real ignorant, you know." Beat.

What I should have said: It was not ignorant of me. You do not know the meaning of that word. You are ignorant of its meaning. This woman asking directions is ignorant, not me, or, as you implied, my actions. Even if I was ignorant, actions themselves cannot be ignorant, except insomuch as thoughts and ideas are not themselves sentient -- are in fact entirely virtual -- and therefore cannot possess knowledge. But saying that a thought or action is ignorant is as pointlessly self-evident as saying that a cow has no batteries. It is you, Testy, Mr. "I know! Uh -- no, I don't.. uh.. uh.." who are ignorant, if not for not knowing the answer to Barbie's questions, then for having no idea of what to do next, such as open a brief inquiry into the matter of the Lost Little Girl. And it goes without saying that Little Girl is as ignorant as her hide is oven-baked, though it may not be fair to blame a thimble for failing to contain a glass of milk. No, you meathead, I was not being ignorant. What you meant to say was that I was rude. And I concede that. It was rude of me, and not very nice, to disclose the obvious, that this girl has very little hope of reaching her destination because she doesn't have anywhere near enough information to even formulate questions that anyone can answer. And in our world of little white lies, maybe it was unkind of me to point all that out and bring the reality of it all crashing down, shine the spotlight on the elephant in the middle of the room. And in all honesty, though I typically have a very slim tolerance for idiocy, and think those kinds of things all the time, I really do try my best to keep it to myself most of the time. But I have a contemptible personal weakness, see, and it's much harder for me to contain my disgust at the stupidity that pervades the world around me when I haven't had my coffee yet. And if it hasn't occurred to you yet, if you happen to notice that you're standing in line behind me at a coffee shop, it's a pretty damn good bet that I haven't had my fucking coffee yet, you knuckle-dragging, truck-buggering shithead.

But I've learned that it's pointless to try to pound sense into guys like this. Even when they're capable of grasping it, they don't, because they don't want to. They can't stand being wrong, ever, and especially can't stand being shown up in public, and certainly not being shown up in public by some smart-ass dyke, in front of some hot chick. Any sort of discussion with them will inevitably escalate, perhaps even culminate in fisticuffs, the one thing they're actually pretty good at much of the time, so they always try to turn everything in that direction, in the same way that a fellow whose only talent is telling jokes will find some way to do so, in any social situation, even a funeral.

"Whatever," I said. And left.

For awhile, I was reluctant to go back to that same Dunkin Donuts, though it's very convenient for me on the way to my friend's house. I feared that maybe Testy would run into me there again, and perhaps have a well-formed retort ready by now, perhaps involving one or two of his friends and some kinetics that I might find unpleasant. This fear was irrational, because Rhode Islanders treat Dunkin Donuts the same way that the deathless warriors in Highlander treated churches -- sacred ground, where words may be passed, but no blows must be thrown. If anything, it was me, and not him, who was out of line, because I strained that unspoken social pact by speaking harshly within the sanctuary. But I was nervous anyway. Mostly, I suppose, I was embarrassed, because even if none of the other witnesses were there, it would very likely be the same counter staff, and they might remember me making a scene. I really wanted to give them time to forget it, and forget me.

But a part of me will always wonder what actually happened to Barbie. I'm sure she got on her cell and connected with a like-species being of her acquaintence, who eventually talked her to some kind of destination. But it must have been very difficult, on both ends. I can see the conversation starting out with, "Where are you right now?" And then, as my friend says, wackiness ensues.

 
At Sunday, July 24, 2005 3:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-- I wanted to add that I find your blog very inspiring to my own writing. In case you hadn't noticed. :)

-- sapphie

 
At Sunday, July 24, 2005 6:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that anonymous fella who always has detailed maps is so cool! When I become a childish twerp, I wanna be just like him!

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 12:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not an anonymous fella, IT'S A DYKE! She's a fella on the inside.

I can sympathize with her. I love finding the best route. I am the guy who knows where he is going, and has contingency plans for many possible scenarios. I can tell you, my GIRLFRIEND HATES IT!

But, you never know who someone else is, and why they're lost. So at least don't be rude, just walk away.

THis in one reason I like

 

Post a Comment

<< Home