Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Alberta.

I see, through the plexiglass, Alberta promenading toward the shop, at her typical glacial pace; Alberta is slooooow. She finally dawdles through the doorway, ringing the little cat-bell chime and, Pavlovian, invoking a certain discomfort for me. I look at her, with the usual mix of pity and antipathy.

Alberta's about 5'4, with wispy, greasy brown hair. She's missing several teeth, with those brown, rotten remainders announcing why the others chose to vacate. She's only 44, but has the body of a woman 20 years older: slack, sallow skin, no muscle tone, plenty of fat. Her most distinguishing feature is those wild, twitchy, pale eyes, shrieking of madness and desperation.

Alberta's a crackhead. Her addiction, if I can blame it, has wiped out whatever intelligence or personality she may have once had. Now she's just need--penetrating, all-encompassing need. High-maintenance on a stick.

"Hi Alberta," I sigh, as she comes in. If an eye-roll could be embodied in voice, that would be the tone I'm aiming for.

"Hi. What's your name again?"

I tell her, for the 400th time. I could just as easily make up a new one on each occasion, for all the good it's going to do helping her remember. She's just not all there anymore.

Alberta washes dishes for a living, although I'm hard-pressed to see how anyone who moves so slowly can keep up with a busy lunch crowd. Yet I realize that it's good that she's still employable, and that someone else besides me, you, and Uncle Sam are footing the bill for her fitty-rocks. But I also know that dishwashing wages can't support a crack habit, and hence am impelled to wonder what unspeakable things she's done and had done to her to finance her hobby. I want, in the depths of my heart, to believe that no self-respecting drug dealer would accept sexual favors from Alberta in exchange for product, but that idea is about as intellectually fecund as the notion of a self-repecting drug dealer. I'm quite sure that I could kick in any door at the Glen and bust the latter out, passing the pipe and acetylene torch around with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, as the old joke goes. That very idea makes me think in the terms of another writer: How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, that has such people in it!

But I don't dare judge Alberta. Her desire is simple; she likes crack. Everybody wants something, and are often, or usually, willing to prostitute themselves for it. All those who work slavishly to bring about their desires, whatever they may be, are, on some significant level, whores. Alberta is just the refreshing kind of harlot that doesn't bother to feel superior to other whores; she knows what she is.

Eventually Alberta comes to my counter and pays for her stuff. Her bill for the soda and roll of toilet paper she's getting today amounts to $1.66. She does her standard two-minute fumbling about with her wallet after I announce the tally, holding up the growing line behind her. I take her money, give her her change, and then gently push her aside with the left hand so I can deal with the other customers while she takes another two minutes to put her money away. "Alberta, step aside, please" is what I say, in dispassionate monotone.

"Wow, you sound like a cop when you say that," she replies, without a hint of sarcasm.

My quickish retort is, "gosh, Alberta, how would you know that?" It's not the best comeback ever, but it does successfully mute her. She's obviously been part of some canned, unreleased, COPS episode. If not, she should certainly audition.

Weirdly, Alberta's never bothered by the fact that she's just been herded aside like cattle. My brusque demeanor doesn't hurt her feelings, even if it embarasses her slightly, because she has no feelings left to hurt. It's the crackhead's version of enlightenment: she's sunk to a point where she just doesn't care, and so it's difficult for me to offend her. It's liberation of the ego via narcotics; I suspect that whatever Universal Ultimate monitors and governs Alberta's destiny might almost approve.

Yet, ultimately, I prefer Alberta's brand of self-sale, if proffered the option between hers and that of her putative social betters--hers is utterly devoid of arrogance or pretension. That her idea of happiness doesn't seek to belittle, demean, or displace others is, in fact, rather uncommon. That's a complement I can't extend to too many people. So I feel a certain sympathy for, and almost an affinity with, Alberta. Her powelessness grants her the freedom to do what she likes, reputation and consequences be damned. Her dismissal by society as worthless is, in a unique logical contortion, a quality nearly to be admired, and perhaps even envied. Most of us have to worry about the choices we make; Alberta can be whatever she wants to be, because nobody cares about the people who choose to be forlorn junkies.

There are, of course, plenty of Albertas where I work, and each one has a story, a history, that can teach me things about paths better left unchosen. So I don't look at the alcoholics, the pot-fiends, the crackheads that come before me each and every shift with the summary dismissal that most people grant them. I have developed, without consent and perhaps even against my will, a quasi-paternal affection for them, that transcends the reality of how much they irritate me by being unwashed, unmannered and unlettered distractions from whatever I may be trying to clean or stock when they darken my doorstep. As Alberta, just before leaving, was pulling another of her favorite tricks, requesting for me to combine all of her dimes and nickles into quarters after I'd moved her aside and was trying to process the line she had caused, another quote in reference to her, from that guy I mentioned above came to mind:

This thing of darkness, I acknowledge mine.

17 Comments:

At Friday, July 08, 2005 5:58:00 AM, Blogger Mama Moose said...

What a character profile. I'd love to hear more examples of what you think people prostitute themselves for...money, power, sex, to gain the envy of others, to damage other people for gain or revenge, for status...it goes on.
Why do so few people live for purity and self-actualization? Is it a myth that those things can be achieved? Is it that other things are more gratifying in the short term and distract from any long term goals?

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005 6:19:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post, as usual. But I had a thought when you said that Alberta didn't seem to mind your herding. Shouldn't we treat such "feeling-free" people as politely as we treat anyone, even if it doesn't bother them? We lower ourselves with our own rudeness or brusqueness, regardless of what it means to the object of our behavior. You do say that society has discarded her, or judged her worthless, but you don't.

Of course, maybe you did treat her as politely as you treat anyone.

Thanks for stimulating my thoughts, again! I hope you enjoyed your trip last week.

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005 8:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn.

You're good.

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Everybody wants something, and are often, or usually, willing to prostitute themselves for it." Ouch, but so very, very true for each and every one of us.

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005 12:21:00 PM, Blogger JPS said...

Kristine, your point is well taken, yet I have to ask: is it more rude to A) gently move aside a woman who doesn't listen to exclusively verbal commands; or B) make all other patrons spend eight times the expected and usual amount of time at the store? This is a point of public utility--greatest good for the greatest number, and all that.

Or perhaps you're right, and I'm just rude. In either case, glad you enjoyed the post.

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005 3:07:00 PM, Blogger LoriLoo310 said...

We have a "patron" like Alberta in my workplace. His name is Ellie. Ellie used to be one of our students, but dropped-out upon becoming addicted to whatever is his drug of choice. Years later we found him living in a box in our parking lot. He currently resides in our student housing. It's a very sad story. I never give him money, but I will give him part of my lunch. I hate to tell him that I won't give him money, but I never want to help him with his habit. They sometimes refuse to let you give them any real help.

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005 3:12:00 PM, Blogger Curious Servant said...

I love the parallels you make.

Thanks for another enjoyable post.

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005 7:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant writing. I still can't believe you work in a gas station.

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005 10:15:00 PM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

Wow, a soft side in the normally caustic gas guy. I think that you hit the nail on the head with your "we're all whores" analogy. I've thought this myself quite a few times in the past.

 
At Sunday, July 10, 2005 8:12:00 PM, Blogger Hawaiianmark said...

Most enjoyable post. I keep wondering how much my drug of choice (surfing) has whored me out. Your duties find you facing the public at times in the most dire needs (out of gas, out of booze/cigs/caffine) My own firefighting job sees them in a similar light, albeit usually quite a bit more urgent of a need. The parrelels that I can draw from your insight are creating in myself a more empathetic(?) person to serve the public here in Hawai'i. Dont lose the caustic side tho' thats the aprt that keeps me sane....Best to you.

Aloha.

 
At Monday, July 11, 2005 11:16:00 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

A very enjoyable post. I have known a couple Albertas in my time. You've painted her perfectly.

 
At Monday, July 11, 2005 4:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent writing, Gas Guy. You're raising the bar for anyone who blogs about working in retail. Keep up the good work!

 
At Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

would that other writer be Alduous Huxley? ^^.. lol, I really enjoyed ur blog and once again, the parallels u make is fantastic. Keep it up

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2005 12:00:00 AM, Blogger JPS said...

Actually, Anon, Huxley was quoting somebody else when he wrote the title of Brave New World. I'll give you a hint: he died 400 years ago and is the most quoted writer in the English language.

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2005 11:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha I never knew that he was quoting shakespeare. I guess we all learn something new every day. Thanks for clearing that up ^^

 
At Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:22:00 PM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

Nice, but maybe a little too harsh against "wage whores". However, I am nit picking.

 
At Monday, July 25, 2005 8:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world from the outside in is always distant and holds whatever meaning you give it, and from the indisde out can be just the same.

I admire your intellectual courage, for having become enlightened, and the moral courage necessary to do so.

How about love? Get inside and stay there. Find your faith, it's turtles all the way down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home