Saturday, July 30, 2005

Vision.

At 4:06 P.M. on a Friday, a man pulls up in front of the shop on a ten speed bicycle. It appears to be at least twenty years old. The man himself appears to be somewhere between sixty and seventy. The bike has several little plastic grocery sacks tied to its handlebars, bearing the names of other local shops. It is clearly his primary means of transportation.

The man is a tall, mocha-pigmented black man, perhaps six-foot-two, with what, quite unusually, appears to be naturally dark blond hair and beard. His clothes are little more than rags; his denim overshirt is frayed at the cuffs, his sandals falling apart around his feet. Everything he is wearing has faded to several shades lighter than its original hue: his denim shirt has drained from dark blue to pastel, his undershirt from red to pink. Great, I think, bum. Then I think of how hot it’s been lately, and, forgive me for this thought, I imagined how ripe he was probably going to smell.

Something interrupts this line of reasoning, gently applies the brakes and steers it in a different direction: the street people I see don’t usually wear faded clothes; they wear dirty clothes. I look again: there are large bleach spots all over the man’s shirt; the socks underneath his sandals are white as unbroken light. These are clothes that have been washed, hundreds of times, over many years, and obviously quite recently. The shopping bags suspended from his bicycle are new and unwrinkled, recent purchases. None of this quite fits the profile I’ve assigned him moments earlier.

As the man is repositioning the plastic sacks, the four o’clock rush hits. Cars descend from nowhere, the pump-authorization alerts wail as if there’s an imminent air raid, and a ten person line forms before my register. My tramp is dead last in line. The line moves slowly, the scourge of this plastic money age in which people seem unable to resist paying for small purchases via PIN debit transactions that take ten times as long as their cash equivalents. When the tramp approaches at last, I thank him for his patience, the industry-standard apology for a long wait.

There is no need, though. The man radiates patience. He exudes serenity and peace. The calm, unforced smile on his face as he sets his two fountain drinks and bottle of vinegar on the counter draws me into his little envelope of content.

I ring up his purchases: the bill for the three items comes to $3.34. He hands me four dollars and, when I return his 66 cents in change, promptly drops it into the plastic “leave a penny/take a penny” bin beside the cash register.

“Would you like a bag today, sir?” I inquire.

“Nah,” he replies, “I don’t think so. You have a nice day now.” I believe that he actually means it. I watch him walk outside and find room in a bag from another store for his purchases. He didn’t take a bag from me because he already knew he didn’t need it. I remove his change from the bin and set it above the drawer, to break into pennies as later necessary.

I have just been in the presence of a mystic, a sage who wants nothing because he knows that he already has everything, who lives by his needs and gives of the little that he has. I feel a sense of wonder and awe that an angel has been sent into my convenient store, and a twinge of envy that when this man dies he will melt away into Nirvana, stroll unassumingly through the back door of heaven, while I’m busy being reborn 40,000 more times or rotting in Purgatory or whatever while I work out why I assumed initially that he was a vagrant. My hell, as Peter Gabriel once wrote, will be a big hell—and I will walk through the front door.

It is 4:46, the calm between the on-the-hour, post-work flurries of business that define any convenient store. A boy of perhaps seven comes in and picks up a pink Critter Rose, a nylon flower in a plastic tube with one of several fuzzy, brightly colored toy insects attached. His sports a purple dragonfly.

“How much is this?”

“It comes to $1.06 with tax,” I explain, as children tend not to be so adept with the concept.

“This is what I have,” he says, opening his palm and exposing seven dimes. “It’s my mom’s birthday today, and I forgot to get her anything.”

I take his seven dimes, and add 36 cents from the sage’s donation to it, ringing up the piece of gimcrack that will doubtless bring a smile to the child’s mother’s face. “Somebody else got the rest of it for you,” I say. “Tell your mother that the guy at the gas station said happy birthday.”

I realize, after the boy happily strolls away, that I have just completed a tiny miracle begun by another, witnessed Providence at work, whatever theological construct tickles the fancy. It is beyond my skill to relate the unique feeling of that recognition.

And people have the nerve to ask me why I work here.

33 Comments:

At Monday, August 01, 2005 12:40:00 AM, Blogger Hawaiianmark said...

Thanks. For the story, for the insight.

I needed it.

Aloha.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 1:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The teacher appears when the student is ready, Grasshopper.
You are lucky to notice this stuff, most people don't.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 1:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brillant.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 4:35:00 AM, Blogger King of Helview said...

YOU ARE AMAZING

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 5:20:00 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Love your work.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 5:52:00 AM, Blogger Mama Moose said...

God is in the details, for sure. I think Morgan Freeman might play your man in the movie version of Gas Station Attendant. Who would play you?

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 6:42:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, reminds me of when Christians liked to say that the deaths at Columbine High School served a purpose because some girl was rumored to have professed her faith in Jesus before dying on the floor under a table. Why are people too scared to acknowledge the randomness in life? Why do people bandy about the term "miracle" in this way?

Thank you for your frequent posts, Gas Guy. I love reading your work, and I'll continue to do so until you tell me to stop.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 7:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant. I remember when I was insightful and optimistic like you.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 7:03:00 AM, Blogger Anne said...

thanks for making a bleary monday morning much, much nicer. wow.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 8:29:00 AM, Blogger ME said...

Reminds me of a guy I know who I live near... one of the most pleasant people I know...

Love your blog

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 8:50:00 AM, Blogger Ryan Rigby said...

Spellbinding.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 8:53:00 AM, Blogger Me said...

Thanks. I needed that.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 10:00:00 AM, Blogger Kit said...

Always did believe that everything happens for a reason. Thanks.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 10:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like anonymous said, most of us are too caught up in ourselves to appreciate when something small yet grand occurs.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 12:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter Gabriel wrote "my HEAVEN will be a big HEAVEN". So maybe you aren't going to hell after all.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 4:13:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Nicely done.

I venture to say this is the best post you've offered. I enjoyed it very much.

Best,
R

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 4:37:00 PM, Blogger LoriLoo310 said...

I agree, best post ever. I'm glad you had the insight to notice such an amazing act, and the kindness to share it with the rest of us. Made my day.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 9:15:00 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

What a cool post! Funny how things work out sometimes. We can't ever forget that the world is still a wonderful and mysterious place, no matter how mundane the day-to-day seems on the surface.

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Nine said...

lovely. thank you.

 
At Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:36:00 AM, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

It's great when you realize you're wrong about someone so unfamiliar.
And good job with the kid's gift. Hopefully Karma is real.

 
At Tuesday, August 02, 2005 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

I agree with those who stated that this may be your best post yet. Absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing that with us.

 
At Tuesday, August 02, 2005 1:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wish i knew more people like the man on the bicycle :)

 
At Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prologue to a Radio Interview about 'Citizen Journalism'
National Public Radio's Talk of the Nation has asked me to speak on their program today about 'citizen journalism'. They're looking for someone skeptical about it.
Ted
my articles: finance articles

 
At Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:06:00 PM, Blogger Leann said...

I had to add you to my list of favorites. You are too funny. And way too intelligent to be working in a gas station. What's up with that?

 
At Tuesday, August 02, 2005 3:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post.

Reminds me of Siddhartha.

Some day I'd like to live like that.

 
At Wednesday, August 03, 2005 1:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, the story makes me see you as just another racist cracker.

 
At Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:47:00 PM, Blogger JPS said...

Well, Lyp, a fella' can't please everybody.

 
At Thursday, August 04, 2005 8:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Racist? I don't get it. I'm the first to criticize, but geez, lyp.

 
At Thursday, August 04, 2005 9:43:00 AM, Blogger momma of 2 said...

Thanks for reminding us about what is important... I am sure the mom had a great birthday!

 
At Thursday, August 04, 2005 1:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best. Post. Ever.

 
At Friday, August 05, 2005 6:55:00 PM, Blogger warcrygirl said...

Just found you and so far I love your stuff. Sounds like you've just paid it forward. I wonder what lesson the boy picked up from your kindness? I wonder how he will pay it forward?

I just keeps going.

 
At Sunday, August 07, 2005 6:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good change with the title. If evil doesn't exist, how can a story be based on it?

 
At Monday, August 08, 2005 5:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continuing with the "good from evil" theme: Those little roses in glass tubes are usually purchased by addicts--combined with Brillo pads, they make convenient crack pipes.

At least, according to this article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home