Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Vicious Cycle Shop.

I am immersed in a pool of ink--sticky, murky suffocating ink, inhibiting my movements, cloaking me in darkness, and threatening to drown me. All is not lost, though: above the surface I hear the piercing wail of the approaching ambulance, its unnerving, plaintive loudness telling me to reach toward it if I can just...muster...the strength.

The ambulance has been coming for a while, perhaps twenty minutes, yet doesn't seem to be getting any nearer. Just the same BEEEEEP...BEEEP...BEEEEP. I begin to understand that I'm going to have to find them in order to live. So I gather any residual strength still in my weakened form, and lunge upward, a last, desperate heave, out of the ink and into the light.

I'm awake now, and shut off the God-awful racket of the alarm clock, which has going off for, perhaps, twenty minutes. It's 2:52 PM, and I'm supposed to be at work at three. I'm still wearing my uniform from the previous night, covered in sweat and grime, so hung over that I offer a quick, fervent prayer that heaven will strike me dead so I don't have to face the day. Zeus ignores me. No thunderbolt. I won't even have time to shower. This is really, really going to suck.

There has been a preternaturally vicious cycle at play of late, by which I work all day with a crippling hangover, feeling my frustration grow and blood pressure rise as I try to process each customer in most expeditious fashion, only to find another, and another, and another, standing in place of the original, clones and robots and zombies replicating themselves to my enduring horror. At the end of nine or ten hours of this, I am so horribly, if self-imposedly, stressed out that I sprint to the cooler in the back to crack open a beer--precious, potent, potable antidote. It works so well that I have another, and then a few at the local bar, and then many more at home before being chased into my coffin by the sunlight, only to emerge again--short on sleep, hung-over, late for work. Some might call this alcoholism, but I find that an irrelevant and academic distinction. To me it is simply speciously poor planning. In any case, this vicious cycle needs to go back to the shop where I bought it. The tread's worn off the tires and it's no fun to ride anymore.

"Excuse, me, there, shop clerk," I imagine myself saying, "I'd like to trade in the drink-to-relieve-job-stress-causing-stress-inducing-hangover-leading-
to-more-drinking-to-relieve-stress cycle please. What else have you got?"

"Well, we have this year's eating-to-cope-with-depression-leading-to-depression-causing-obesity."

"Nah, kind of girly. What else?"

"We have a special on blowing-yourself-up-in-defense-of-your-faith..."

"I don't do politics. Something with a lighter frame?"

"Ah. Certainly you'll look good riding this squandering-your-meager-income-on-pot-then-insisting-you-smoke-pot-
to-cope-with-being-poor."

"That is so already taken, and I'm late for work. I'll keep the one I've got and get back to you."

And so I rode my vicious cycle into work. My hangover is my problem, naturally, but I work in customer service, so, while it is true enough that I inherit the customers' problems, the corollary of this is that they inherit mine.

It is a right reading of a will, it is today: inheritances abound. The customers probably don't deserve the total avoidance of eye contact or the terse grunts of affirmation or negation that are passing for answers, but luckily they are accustomed to it. It isn't as if the convenient store industry is chock full o' rising stars in the retail trade. On days when I'm being alert and nice, they mostly cower in surprise and suspicion anyway, so perhaps the automated way is just the way to go, from a conservation of energy standpoint.

But they aren't helping. They’re being usually clueless, asking dumb questions and attempting to pump diesel into their unleaded cars a record five times in one shift, ignoring the "no public restroom" sign posted three different places, paying for candy bars with $50's, etc. Yet I remain painfully cognizant all the while of the irony that I work in a market niche specifically designed to accommodate people's laziness and stupidity and then become offended when people take us up on our offer by acting lazy and stupid. We're basically accepting bribes in the form of exorbitantly high prices from people who can't muster the will to walk or drive the extra six blocks to supermarket where everything costs half as much. And I am surprised that they can't read signs. Go figure. But please, just not today, I think, over and over. Not when I feel this shoddy.

So I try, very hard, pay attention, to stay with the pitch, to live in the moment, so that I don't just descend into the vacant place where I work on remote and may as well be blind and deaf. It's the place where, nine customers later, I couldn't tell a person what anyone was wearing, what cars they drove, or even necessarily what they bought. I'm losing this struggle: what is happening around me is becoming more and more indistinct as I sink farther under and drift away with the current.

I'm trying to reach this thing people talk about called the happy place, to remove myself from where I am to a better neighborhood, except that there is no happiness in this hot, hazy locale I'm withdrawing into. I seem to have been shot down on my way to the happy place for flying without a permit, over a vast and barren desert. Now I'm just stumbling about, injured and delirious, scanning the horizon for an oasis that doesn't exist.

After several hours of this, I'm speaking to people across an intellectual abyss, a fog of distraction so thick and fetid that, given the additional factor that as the shift wears on I'm dealing with increasingly drunk and stoned people, it's a miracle that we're able to communicate at all. With the tides of memory and oceans of imagination flowing between us, we as well be shouting into megaphones from different continents.

"Yo, lemmee get a vanilla Dutch," someone will shout, from Antarctica.

"but i can't hear you i'm so very very far away i'm sorry," is all that they're going to hear back, from Denmark.

Nine hours of this go by, during which I'm angry and disappointed with myself for being a bad cashier and an awful human being and an irresponsible drunk, all the while dropping change and asking people to repeat themselves and growing testier and testier when customers try to drag me out of my quagmire and actually get me to assist them. Like I said before, they really don't deserve this. And as everybody knows, they're at their most demanding when you're at your least prepared. I feel like a 1980's AFC Champion in the Super Bowl: I'm plummetting out of the game and haven't a clue what do about it besides cringe, pout and huff.

Finally, mercifully, it ends. I lock the doors fifteen minutes early, and breathe, trying to shake off the lunacy of an entire day of talking without saying anything, when all I wanted was to be left alone. This really isn't any way to live, I think, and then sprint to the cooler in the back and crack open a beer--precious, potent, potable antidote. As I feel it's cool, soothing, carbonated remedy gallop down my throat, the can gone in minutes, I think about the vicious cycle shop, and when I'm actually turning this one in. But since I made the shop up in my imagination, it follows that my imagination sets its operating hours, and so I can't go tomorrow. It's a half day there on Thursdays, you see. And that means they'll be closed hours before I wake up.

30 Comments:

At Thursday, July 14, 2005 12:20:00 AM, Blogger Hawaiianmark said...

Good one Gas Guy. "Okole Maluna" -Bottoms up! Done the vicious cycle a few times over me self, part death and tragedy sorrows, and part service industry boredom and useless pricks saga. Once soooo hung over and forced to show up at the firehouse. Lady gave birth right on me 5 minutes into my shift. Sober. Fast. The opposite in the service ind. job, try to remain human while all around me are zombies, and zombettes. Keep steady, and keep posting.

Aloha!

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, if drinking isn't getting you what you want (or need) - why DO you keep drinking? Doesn't really make sense, now does it?

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:58:00 AM, Blogger LoriLoo310 said...

I don't really drink, but somehow I still feel hungover at work everyday. Ink and the siren ... great descriptions.

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like many of the ABA folks are going through some soul-searching, or at the very least some unfamiliar territory. An interesting mix here of self-reflection and commentary on society's problems in general.

I love the comment about you inheriting customers' problems, but they also inherit yours.

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2005 11:09:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff.....
here's hoping you'll be able to get off your mad merrygoround.

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2005 9:21:00 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Clever entry. Your use of language, metaphor, and the elegant cadence of your work continues to impress.

Keep riding that cycle, and don't let the fuckwits get you down.

Yeah, just stop...that's the answer...Did that guy (Divam) even read your entry? Oh sorry, he just missed the point.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 10:10:00 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Very clever, as always GG.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 11:57:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you say that you work in a market niche specifically designed to accommodate people's laziness and stupidity, I assume that you're referring to yourself and not your customers.
Get a real job you lazy drunk!

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 12:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are obviously intelligent, and selling yourself short. Dude, you can go to school you know & quit working in that shithole. Might want to think about the drinking a bit too. And yes, I read the post and I "got it." But I'm thinking more about the person the "gas guy" is and could become than I am about the cute little articles, however entertaining they might be.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 1:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many underachieving liberal arts grads out there, and I bet gas guy is one of 'em. Now he's turned to alcoholism--this is hilarious.

 
At Friday, July 15, 2005 9:15:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Taylor said...

Great blog...I love it.

Anonymous says "get a real job"?

Doesn't he know that all jobs, regardless of complexity or tedium or outright boringness, are all the same and eventually drive one to drink?

Besides, he's paying taxes so lay off.

And another thing, you'd be pretty pissed off if you couldn't put gas in your car because all the clerks of the world decided to get real jobs.

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 9:39:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Poor people don't pay taxes
2. Poor people get drunk b/c it's cheap entertainment and they can't afford cable
3. All jobs are not the same--Service jobs are all the same
4. Service jobs are not real jobs

A gas clerk who blogs about his day while alternatly sipping malt liquor and consulting a thesaurus can be funny, as long as it doesn't get too introspective.
This blog works better when it's more Hunter S. Thompson and less F. Scott Fitzgerald.

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 12:48:00 PM, Blogger Elizabeth Taylor said...

1. Poor people very often pay more taxes

2. Alcohol's not cheap

3. Everyone is in a service job in one way or another

4. A job is a job is a job and they're all real - wonder where Gas Guy is all day if not at his job

Hunter S Thompson yes...maybe more Ayn Rand this time which always works for me.

 
At Saturday, July 16, 2005 1:52:00 PM, Blogger JPS said...

Ah, yet another brave, anonymous, set of trolls. What I love about these folks, at any blog, of any persuasion, is that they haven't the skill or imagination to write anything worth reading themselves, so instead wander the internet picking fights, sanctimoniously lecturing, and siphoning attention away people who have the audacity to leave an open comments forum (instead of an e-mailless, blogless anonymity, you wicked critics, you).

But trolls mean people are reading, and that, in its own little way, is kind of cool, and a touch unexpected. Thanks to divam and anon for making massive and unfounded assumptions based on the 15% of my life you get to read about. Did I publish my tax return on this blog and forget about it? For all you know I have three other jobs and a PHD, or am completely making this all up. I wonder if you folks write out hate-mail to print authors after you read a novel you don't like. Waste time, much?

And thanks to those who enjoyed the post as well. Part of leaving the barn door open is that you deal with whatever comes in, yet the balance of remarks here has always been rather flattering. Hunter S. Thompson and Ayn Rand? Come now. I'm certainly worthy of neither comparison. Y'all make a Gas Guy blush.

 
At Sunday, July 17, 2005 9:12:00 AM, Blogger blogdog said...

Gosh, Gas Guy, that is some vicious cycle you're riding! I know it would completely undo the whole Gas Guy idea (yep, read the FAQ) and rob you of that particular rich source of inspiration, but you might need to consider plotting your escape for your own sake. Riding in the Tour de Stress is pretty danged brutal.

 
At Sunday, July 17, 2005 11:03:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm stopping in late here, and will chime in, since no one asked me to.

1) Poor people don't pay taxes is a joke. Some rich people don't pay taxes (heck, some multi-million dollar corporations dont, either), some rich people get reamed. Some poor people get refund checks, some don't.

2) Get a real job? What's a fake job, then?

As much as I like Gas Guy's writing and we've had a difference here and there, I despise slugs who hide under rocks and then pop out anonymously to criticize. But I'm trying to be nicer now, so I won't call you what I want.

 
At Sunday, July 17, 2005 2:40:00 PM, Blogger JPS said...

Oh, and one last note to anon: if I let belligerent cretins wander about my home as freely as they do my blog, which I do not, they would not find a thesaurus anywhere in it. It's called reading; you might want to look into it, outside of trolling weblogs, of course. So sorry about your teeny, tiny, little vocabulary. I'll write all future posts in monosyllables (oops, er, small words) so that you can keep up.

 
At Sunday, July 17, 2005 7:21:00 PM, Blogger Nightcrawler said...

LOL -- I love it. People who like to criticize your writing and can't put together an intelligent sentence to save their lives. I'm surprised the list didn't go something like:

A.)
B.)
3.)

Anyhow, keep writing, to hell with the anonymous critics.

 
At Sunday, July 17, 2005 8:48:00 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

An enjoyable post--as i've come to expect.

As an aside, I find it very difficult to consider (on any level) what someone has submitted anonymously.

 
At Monday, July 18, 2005 1:56:00 PM, Blogger Comida Evangelista said...

That is a tough cycle to break out of. Well described, this is definitely the best post ever.

 
At Tuesday, July 19, 2005 8:15:00 AM, Blogger Me said...

Hmm... I am looking into procuring a new cycle as well. Is yours a two stroke or a four? What are the combustion factors? I'm assuming you've put a ton of miles on it. I've done the same... to the point where the ignition coil is unstable and the self-excited alternator is completely whacked.

Man, I need a beer...

Anyway, great post, Gas Guy!

 
At Tuesday, July 19, 2005 7:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious. I stumbled upon you through Waiter Rant. That is so awesome that people try and put diesel in their cars that run on unleaded. It reaffirms my faith in humanity.

 
At Tuesday, July 19, 2005 9:32:00 PM, Blogger Dublin Saab said...

Brilliant.

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005 1:25:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am not sure if this is the funniest or the saddest post I have ever read. Or. Both.

Great blog!

 
At Wednesday, July 20, 2005 1:27:00 PM, Blogger St. Dickeybird said...

Gas Guy! I love this blog.
I'm a former Gas Guy, and can totally relate.

 
At Sunday, July 24, 2005 12:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to think I was a serious beer snob, drinking locally-brewed ales, fancy imports, that sort of thing -- and I still do -- but what I mean is that I'd convinced myself that by that point, I couldn't enjoy a regular Joe Sixpack kind of beer, like a plain Bud or Coors. And usually, when I tried, for example at parties, I found that to be true. Holy crap, I'd think, recoiling from its fetid, yeasty stink, this is canned cat's piss! That was before my diner days.

For two years, I worked weekends during bar rush in a very tiny diner, where my working space was so small there wasn't even room to sit down. I worked the stagger-up window, serving the drunks who were too trashed, or too impatient, to pull themselves up the stairs.

They were like zombies soaked in kerosene, that someone forgot to light on fire. They'd reek of something horrible and flammable, stare with glassy wandering eyes in my vague direction, and wail and grunt their demands, sometimes with clarity, more often without -- and it was my job to separate them from as much of their money as I could, in as short a time as possible, because there was a long line of rapidly-sobering people behind them, and the more sober they got before they reached me, the less money we'd usually get them to fork over, which my boss, who stood sixteen centimetres from me the whole time, did not appreciate at all.

After I'd worked there for awhile, and proved that I could handle both the wailing of the zombies and his own barking, he loosened up a little, and invited me to join him in his closing ritual. From deep in the back of the reach-in fridge, he produced a couple bottles of beer. But not just any rat-ass American lager. No, this man was Italian-born, and he appreciated quality. Only the finest would do.

Let me tell you, after four hours of serving drunks, an MGD never tasted so damn good, so good to bring J. D. Salinger tears to your eyes, the oasis after crawling across the desert, the iced-down bottle of Surge just beyond the mountain-bike challenge in some stupid MTV reality show.

I never looked at cheap-ass beer the same again.

-- sapphie

 
At Monday, August 01, 2005 3:43:00 AM, Blogger Stewed Hamm said...

Poor people don't pay taxes my ass.

When you get that FICA bastard on the phone and get her to refund the 15% she's taken out of each paycheck I ever earned, then you will be entitled to make this dumbassed remark... after, of course, you've also managed to finagle a total refund of all sales, property, and yes Virginia even income taxes I've paid through my working poor lifetime.

Just because you recieve a refund on your 1040 doesn't mean you didn't pay taxes. The number located a couple lines above your refund labeled "tax owed" tells you if you paid taxes. A tax refund just tells you that the government kept more money from your paycheck than they could justify... this time.

Poor people don't pay taxes... how fucking stupid do you have to be to think this way? Go back to art school or wherever the hell else daddy's money is going to support your dumb ass.

Regardless. Nice blog y'got here Gas Guy - an entertaining read. I absolutely love the AFC Champion reference. I'll readlily admit that I've felt like the Bills on a number of occasions myself.

 
At Thursday, August 18, 2005 6:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three words - Monty Python Successor. No, seriously, I think you are pretty good!

 
At Wednesday, August 24, 2005 1:40:00 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Yet I remain painfully cognizant all the while of the irony that I work in a market niche specifically designed to accommodate people's laziness and stupidity and then become offended when people take us up on our offer by acting lazy and stupid.....This cracked me up!

 
At Wednesday, August 24, 2005 1:56:00 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Thanks to divam and anon for making massive and unfounded assumptions based on the 15% of my life you get to read about...isn't this what you did to the bouncer guy and give him heck over for blaming you for doing the same? Love the site and the writing by the way keep it up. You self absorbed prick. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home